As you may know, my first feature film, Girlfriend 19, is under consideration at various film festivals and I am now currently writing my next feature film script, which will be filmed in August, 2013. This means that I may have time to work on a smaller project this Fall. So what do you think I should do?
To help you, I thought I’d share my current goals as a filmmaker:
- Sharpen my scriptwriting and directing skills.
- Cultivate my personal voice and vision as a film artist.
- Broaden my professional network.
- Improve my professional resume.
- Share my work with family, friends and beyond.
- Have fun!
The key to whatever I do is to keep things simple, mainly in scope of production. I need to work on projects that will be completed from start to finish within two to three months. And, of course, I need to keep costs down.
Here are four possibilities that I’ve thought of:
- Another round of 7 Films, 7 Weeks, except this time, I would constrain myself a lot more, e.g., each film can only be one shot and no longer than five minutes!
- Create and produce a web series with 4 – 6 short episodes (this would have to be a collaborative writing venture).
- Make three thirty-second television commercials.
- Write and direct one highly developed short film.
So what do you think? There definitely are pros and cons of each, which is why I’m confused. Because I don’t get much paid work, it might behoove me to create more commercial material; I don’t know… But then again, as primarily a narrative filmmaker, and a new one at that, I feel it might be best to continue developing my personal, artistic craft…. Or, perhaps, you may think of another possibility?
I really would love your feedback!